Tuesday 31 March 2009

Party Flee-r and Proud

Is there really anything so wrong with a teenager in modern Britain who DOESNT want a drink?!
If a girl's invited to a party in which she knows there will be drinking, drugs, sex and (most terrifyingly) dancing, why does she feel she has to find a good reason to get out of her idea of Hell? It's just not acceptable anymore to say: No, I'm not going because I don't want to.
Why is the relieved feeling that I've got out of going marred by a slight jab of guilt?
What's there to be guilty about?! That I don't want to get "Drunk Enough To Dance" (as bowling for soup would say)?
I refuse to believe that the youth of today is lost. I know some people- scratch that- A LOT of people find that kind of thing fun. I don't have a problem with that, so long as they don't drag me into it either. The problem I DO have is that if I'm not careful I'll get a storm of jeers, taunts and downright bullying if I let people know I don't find it fun myself.
People who I believed were drink and drug free have had a habit of surprising me recently. I know- I know- I KNOW- that I'm not the only kid in the UK who doesn't want to drink. Hell, half my friends would find that situation a good time to run too.
Well maybe I am missing out. Maybe if I went to number 16 this Saturday I would manage to enjoy myself. But the point of this rant is that if that's what it takes to have a good time these days, God help me I'll find a way to time travel back to when dancing was optional and there was such a thing as a gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment