Friday 15 January 2010

Coming Of A Certain Number Before "Age"

Currently Loving: 20th Century Fox's "Anastasia". Just got the DVD for my birthday and I know every word after nine years since the video got thrown out.


I was sitting in History colouring in the Iron Curtain with a thick black marker when I realised I was probably obliterating cities at a time considering the scale of the countries I was bordering. The "shadow falling on the scenes" was, in effect, quite literal for those who lived right on the edge of that paper.

~~~
I woke up yesterday, and I was no different from the day before. At least I didn't feel different. Nobody ever does on their birthday.
But something obviously does change every time someone turns sixteen, as that's when the government decides they can trust you with - ahem - certain things. I don't really get it. Okay, so every government needs a point where they can say yes, you can do this now, but has anything really changed in that person as they shift from one age to another?
"Age is just a number." ~ Joan Collins
Exactly. People don't change over night. You can't suddenly be ready for these kinds of tings. Some people do it early, others wait for ages. This age is a number, just a number for the government to say they are exercising a certain amount of control on the few people who actually listen to them. You take a risk. You pay your part and see if it works out. Many people are left utterly disappointed, but hey, if everyone won, there'd be no risk, right?

Yeah, lottery tickets are bitches.

1 comment: