Friday 8 May 2009

References of Boredom

I like English, okay?
I'm good at it, I understand it, and I enjoy it.
But sometimes, it gets tedious.

William Blake.
What more do I have to fucking say? The guy had visions, meaningful dreams and regular conversations with Archangels, his dead brother and a flea. Yup. A flea. So, yes, he's a strange guy (although apparently a romantic, so I guess he's welcome here :D). But when you've spent an hour analysing the same eight lines, doesn't time drag?
I don't know what you do when you're bored in class, but my mind tends to wander to the things that I enjoy more then what I'd be doing.
Usually?
Books of course.
A couple of films make it in there too. Here, for example, I found myself using a phrase out of Cornelia Funke's The Thief Lord.

You know what Scipio says. Children are caterpillars and adults are butterflies. No butterfly ever remembers what it was like being a caterpillar.
I called the nurse in the poem "a total butterfly" without realising that nobody would know what that meant until my friend asked to see my notes.
Another example of this would be when I quoted a Disney film in an RE assessment.
The world's the same size. There's just less in it.
Yup. Cap'n Jack Sparrow, At World's End. In case you're interested, I got an A :)

2 comments:

  1. Genius girl. I dont think anyone but you can pull of qoting not only a Disney character but one of the most MENTAL charaters ever created in a RE test and manage to get an A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't SAY in the exam who the quote was from. Just sumit like... someone once said that... etc. hehee but thank you

    ReplyDelete