Sunday 19 April 2009

If you go down to the woods today

Paddy, being Paddy decided he didn't want a walk today.
That's so typical.
Through rain, hail and snow I have walked that ungrateful mutt, the least he could do would be to grant me a walk in the woods when the weather is actually nice (touch wood).
So screw him. I went on my own.
After messing around jumping over water several times and somehow escaping a bog with my trainers the same colour they were before they sank into it (doesn't say much; my trainers have been through a lot with me and I keep refusing to give them up), I found an old tree.
Isn't it amazing when nature seems to take over a part of civilisation? There was a huge piece of concrete that could only have been a wall caught up in its roots, slanting down to the river and providing a brilliant excuse for a climb.
I was in no hurry and it wasn't as if I was actually going anywhere, so I took the bait.

Two minutes later I was sitting in the best place in the whole woods. I was under a complete overhang, so the only way somebody would see me was if they were walking along the very edge of path above me and craned their neck right over the drop.

Have you noticed that people walking on a path usually have a place to go?

Needless to say, nobody saw a teenage girl with a navy hoodie perched like a pixie on a tree root staring at the stream 10ft below (I was a little out of it, ok? Ripples are hypnotising @_@ ).

But then, the only people who would actually have a chance of seeing me were the ones I didn't mind looking. Dog walkers, people going in a loop or simply someone putting off going where they were going, in short, anyone curious enough to look right over the edge of the path. If they are that curious, I'm pretty positive they would have sat where I did for twenty minutes, throwing stones in the stream and watching the squirrel 20 ft above hang upside down and shriek (yeah, it was a weird little thing).

I'm just saying, I'm a little impatient. My walking pace should be enough proof of that. But if I could just sit for a quarter of an hour, why don't other people try it more often?
It works.

Works for what?
Whatever you want it to.

2 comments: